Saturday, September 17, 2022

Kinderkrisp*

Small apple with warm red blush over yellow

I listen to names. "Kinderkrisp," for example, suggests a "kid-sized" entry into Honeycrisp space.

These attractive apples are appropriately small, maybe an inch and a half tall (and about an inch wider than that). The one shown is the tallest at 1-3/4 inches, and the least oblate.

The blush is a warm red, with just a little orange in it even when saturated (though it is mostly streaky). 

The underlying peel is a pale yellow, visible above where (probably) a neighboring apple blocked the sun. My Kinderkrisps are glossy and firm.

Note the distinct tan lenticels decorating the peel.

So, the lil "kinder" part checks out. How about the "krisp?"

Crunch time

The crunch of these little fruits is first rate, coarse-grained light yellow flesh that is sweet but balanced, generically floral and spicy, and with a faint savory note in the background.

There is also a creaminess reminiscent of vanilla or banana, if stripped of the actual vanilla or banana.

These are nibble-it-to-the-core good.

Kinderkrisp's crunch and flavor profile fall squarely within popular tastes. Personally, I should prefer it to Honeycrisp, given a choice.

Kinderkrisp is a new variety bred by David Macgregor, the owner of Fairhaven Farm just south of St Cloud, Minnesota. 

He has created several new apples. Let's hear it for small breeding programs!

Lineage

Macgregor says Kkrisp is "a child of Honeycrisp," which seems credible, but in his patent application he notes the parentage is unknown.

The patent, and other sources, say this variety is disease resistant and easy to grow.

Mine came to me courtesy of Wynne Mason, and his granddaughter, from Wisconsin. 

This is my third "new" (to me) variety of the season, and the second to come to me from readers—to whom I am profoundly grateful.

In keeping with modern marketing practice, Kinderkrisp is a trademark distinct from the variety name. The actual cultivar name is the deliberately uncatchy "MAC 2137."

Pet peeve: that second 'k.'

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I am reading this entry as i'm eating one of my kinderkrisps .. I agree with your review -- I also like it better than honeycrisp - I think it has a more interesting flavor.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.